Let There Be Light

In the third century (circa 240 to 280 CE) the Iranian prophet Mani established the religion of Manichaeism which espoused both Christian and Buddhist concepts and practices. This group believed that Jesus was one of the prophets of Buddhism.

One of the central tenants of Manichaeism is the separation of light (good) from darkness (evil). Mani considered himself to be the prophet of light. Manichaeism teaches that the good in us manifests itself as entities of light, what today we understand as photons. Manichaeism mythology has it that evil demons in the kingdom of darkness eat miscarried fetuses in order to ingest their light particles, having none of their own accord.

The idea of light being a manifestation of goodness within a person is found in several places in the Holy Bible, in particular the New Testament of the Christian religion. Could the followers of Manichaeism and early Christianity have been onto something?

In the 1970s Fritz-Albert Popp, a German physicist working in the then relatively new field of biophysics at the University of Marburg discovered biophotons, photons of light emitted from biological organisms including humans. Subsequent work in Popp's lab showed that these photons of light are stored in and emitted from DNA. At present photons coming from our DNA are being considered as possible mechanisms by which we interact with energy fields around us as well as communicate with one another at an extrasensory (i.e., spiritual) level.

A yet to be answered question is, do the atoms comprising DNA generate these photons? Or do the photons somehow get into DNA by other means? For an atom to emit a photon it has to first be hit by an energy source sufficient to kick an electron into a high energy state. As the electron returns to its low energy state a photon is emitted. As far as I know, no such energy sources have been identified in the vicinity of DNA.

For DNA to absorb photons they have to be taken into our system from where they somehow find their way into our DNA. At present there are two known ways to take in photons: sun exposure on skin and eyes, and from plants that we eat. So, if you want to be a good person as well as a healthy one, then get a bit of sun when you can and eat your green leafies.